Thread: Fast Pass change

First pair of Mickey Ears Kristina4109's Avatar

Fast Pass change

Okay, the news of WDW possibly enforcing FastPass end times is all over the web. I can't figure out if they're going to do the same thing in DL. Does anyone know anything about this? We're going in April and I was counting on FP's at CA. Thanks!

I'm not sure what will happen with DL, but the original information that came out about this was pertaining to WDW.

On My Way To The Mouse mickeyforlife's Avatar
    I don't really get to many of these when I go so I don't really have a problem with it. I guess disney is just trying to be fair to everyone, wouldn't want their job.

Yeah, all I've been reading about is WDW, and also that they're testing it, so it's hard to know if the policy change will actually become permanent, and if it will pertain to other parks. Thanks!

I really haven't heard either, so am guessing no unless it turns out to work really good. Of course the reason for the changes in WDW might not even be an issue in DL.
    Mic

On My Way To The Mouse
    I also read about it but I say take it with a grain of salt and enjoy disney.

The purpose for the change is the "Next Gen" programming that Disney has been developing for WDW. In order for all of the technology to be effective, they must require strict adherence to the fast pass times. Because Next Gen is all about WDW, and not DL, I'm guessing it won't affect DL at all. Of course . . . Disney is very good at developing something in one location, then moving it to use elsewhere. Once the Next Gen technology has been functioning for a while, they'll move some of it to DL - at which point, they'll probably start sticking to the printed times. Until then, it's a different park so different rules apply -- I think.

Whenever I ask someone why they DON'T use FastPass, the answer is always the same . . . they don't want to HAVE to return to an attraction at a certain time. If anything, I think more people would use it if there was a two hour window . . .

And the confusion continued - a local news website is reporting that DL WILL institute the new FastPass rules, but then got flooded with comments saying that the changes are happening at Walt Disney WORLD and not DisneyLAND. So not even news reporters are getting it right!

According to MousePlanet, a local DL source I trust, CM's at DL ARE being told to enforce the new FastPass policy:

Closing the Fastpass loophole

News of a renewed emphasis on enforcing the Fastpass return-time window at Walt Disney World has prompted concerns about whether a similar program is in the works at the Disneyland Resort.

Introduced in 1999, Fastpass is the free service that lets you avoid waiting in line for some popular attractions by assigning a specific time for you to ride. Instead of having to stand and wait in the regular line, you collect a Fastpass ticket from a machine near the attraction, and then go do something else—go on another attraction, see a show, do some shopping, grab a bite to eat, and so on—until the assigned window of time (of usually one hour) printed on your Fastpass ticket. When you return, you enter a separate, presumably shorter line to board the attraction.

To help balance demand, Disney generally limits Fastpass distribution; once you collected one Fastpass ticket, the system prevents you from getting another one until either the return time on your original ticket, or when two hours have passed, whichever comes first. At the Disneyland Resort, you can collect one Fastpass from Disneyland and another from Disney California Adventure without regard to time limit. In addition, some Fastpass tickets do not impact your ability to obtain additional Fastpass tickets right away. These include Fastpass tickets issued for the World of Color, as well as the one or two rides with Fastpass machines that are not connected to the network of other Fastpass machines.

Attraction Fastpass tickets indicate both a start and an end time, and the official policy has always been that the ticket was valid only during that one-hour window. The actual operational practice has differed greatly from this policy, however, with a few exceptions (Walt Disney World's Test Track ride being the most commonly cited), cast members are not strict about enforcing the return time. That is, while cast members do not allow you into the Fastpass return line before the start time printed on the ticket, once your window "opens," it never really closes.

And because of this laxness, parkgoers have developed entire touring strategies around gathering as many Fastpass tickets as possible early in the day, and then using them after their assigned window open to avoid the longer afternoon and evening lines. While convenient for those who know how to work the system, this type of use and abuse is often responsible for the inexplicably long standby lines for some Fastpass attractions in the evening, notably Disneyland's Space Mountain, when a day's worth of Fastpass ticket holders show up after their official window and clog up the bypass line, forcing standby guests to have to wait longer than expected.

To curb this use—and some say way to lay the foundation for a new version of Fastpass expected to be part of Walt Disney World's super-secret NextGen project—the Orlando resort has notified cast members that beginning Wednesday, March 7, the official policy and the operational practice must become one. MousePlanet has confirmed that a similar memo was released to Disneyland Resort cast members as well.

While Disney has carefully explained that this isn't a new rule, but rather a reemphasis on long-standing policy, the change will force park goers to better manage their Fastpass use. Florida cast members are reportedly being trained in how to politely turn away guests who return well after their assigned window, as well as how to accommodate those who may have been genuinely delayed due to an over-long lunch or attraction breakdown.

While some MousePlanet readers welcome the planned enforcement, others wonder why a change is necessary. Member ogold72 said, "With a small child, as we have, the flexibility of being able to come after the window ended was really nice. Sometimes it's hard to plan out your whole day or even 2 hours ahead with little ones."

However, some cast members suggest that Disneyland might quietly return to its current practice after a few months. "This is a Florida policy," said one ride operator. "We have to go along with it for now, but I don't see it lasting." Another cast member thinks the Disneyland resort might use this as an opportunity to tighten Fastpass enforcement prior to the opening of Cars Land. "We'll probably be strict about Radiator Springs Racers when that opens, but maybe not so worried if you're a few minutes late coming back for Roger Rabbit."