Thread: In your opinion, how young is too young to sail on DCL?

In your opinion, how young is too young to sail on DCL?

or is there no "too young" where Disney is concerned? My kids did not sail until the youngest was 7, so we never had to deal with the nursery, but it does seem like it would put a bit of a damper on the cruise to have to book the nursery to try to book Palo etc. So just wondering what y'all thoughts were?

I've never been on a Disney cruise before but, I wouldn't be comfortable with leaving my baby with strangers, no matter their age and where I was vacationing. If my child had to go to daycare while I was at dinner, I'd wait until they were older to join our family at the table and be content to sit for a lengthly amount of time. That age varied with my children, I'd say around 5ish ... but it's been a long, long time since my kids were that young.

IMHO, it really depends on what you are expecting on a cruise. If you are expecting to get some adult alone time, I agree with 62win and would say 5ish is a good time.

That being said, if your idea of vacation is doing things as a family, I don't think there is any age that is too young. Our first Disney cruise was before our younger dd was 3, and that was not our first cruise. We had a WONDERFUL time, but the little one stayed with us the whole time. We actually scheduled a time for her to go to Flounder's, but she was not one who liked strangers when she was a baby, and when she fussed at the sight of us leaving her, we changed our mind and kept her with us. We had a blast on the cruise! Our older dd chose to stay in Oceaneer's Club most of the time when we checked on her, but we had dinner at the dining room together each night. We'd bring the little one in the stroller and lay her back when she was ready to fall asleep, and our waiter would bring over extra chairs so that the dining chairs would be side by side and our older dd could lay down when she couldn't last through the dinner. There's been some times when I'd have to take our little one outside of the dining room/show when she started to fuss, but that usually didn't last long and didn't interrupt much. If our younger dd wouldn't have fussed when we tried to leave her at Flounder's, I'd have absolutely no problem having her spend time there. From what we observed, the facility was excellent and the staff well qualified.
    Linda S.
    Believe in the Magic!

it definately depends on what your cruise looks like to you according to your expectations. I could see it going either way for us. I would not have any worries leaving my child with someone in the nursery however, but since time wise it would be hard to plan any adult activities, I would probably opt for a family style vacation!